A hand-mixed spice rub makes ordinary chicken worthy of a special occasion. Plus, it takes awhile to marinate, so you can do other things while the spicy yogurt sauce works its magic. —Dena Leigh at Amici's Catered Cuisine, Oldsmar, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- HONEY-LIME SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Whisk together the first 13 ingredients until blended. Pour 1 cup marinade into a shallow dish. Add chicken; turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 3 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Bake chicken in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan until a thermometer reads 170°, 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, simmer reserved marinade, water and honey in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice and cilantro. Serve chicken topped with sauce.