- 1 egg
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 16 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, spinach and cheeses; set aside.
- Brush a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Layer eight sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Spread with spinach mixture. Top with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Cover and freeze for 30 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-in. squares. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 10-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forSpanakopita Bites
"I love this recipe....I made it 2 days ahead , let it chill, so the plastic wrap would not stick to the butter and froze. I took it out a couple of hours ahead and baked as instructed. Make sure there's rising room, it got quite puffy. I served it as a starter with Argentinian shrimp. We had it with scrambled eggs for brunch today. So easy and delicious. Janet. VFE"
"VERY simple, yet tastes absolutely as good as 'traditional' spanakopita, which is quite labor-intensive!"