- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 16 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix egg, spinach and cheeses. Brush a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with some of the butter.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough in prepared pan; brush with butter. Layer with seven additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Spread top with spinach mixture. Top with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Freeze, covered, 30 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-in. squares. Bake 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forSpanakopita Bites
"I love this recipe....I made it 2 days ahead , let it chill, so the plastic wrap would not stick to the butter and froze. I took it out a couple of hours ahead and baked as instructed. Make sure there's rising room, it got quite puffy. I served it as a starter with Argentinian shrimp. We had it with scrambled eggs for brunch today. So easy and delicious. Janet. VFE"
"VERY simple, yet tastes absolutely as good as 'traditional' spanakopita, which is quite labor-intensive!"