Gorgonzola Polenta Bites
I needed a brand-new appetizer for a big party. I covered polenta with Gorgonzola and a tangy sauce. That’s how you spread holiday cheer. —Margee Berry, White Salmon, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 tube (18 ounces) polenta, cut into 16 slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3 tablespoons dried currants, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar and marmalade. Bring to a boil; cook 5-7 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons.
- Meanwhile, place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Press both sides of polenta slices in bread crumbs. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add polenta in batches; cook 2-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Arrange polenta on a serving platter; spoon cheese over top. Sprinkle with currants if desired; drizzle with vinegar mixture. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 67 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Party Pleasin Polenta Bites in Simple & Delicious December/January 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.