Mediterranean Apricot Phyllo Bites
Apricot and almonds make these flaky little bites a delicious ending to a meal or a special evening snack. Try the tropical filling for another sensational treat.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup unblanched almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- Place almonds and apricots in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon butter, honey, lemon zest and extract; add almond mixture and stir until blended.
- Lightly brush one sheet of phyllo with remaining butter; place another sheet of phyllo on top and brush with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Cut the two layered sheets into three 14x3-in. strips.
- Place 1-1/2 teaspoons filling in lower corner of each strip. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Fold triangle up, then fold triangle over, forming another triangle. Continue folding, like a flag, until you come to the end of the strip. Brush end of dough with butter and press onto triangle to seal. Turn triangle and brush top with melted butter. Repeat.
- Place triangles on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Tropical Getaway Bites: Substitute macadamia nuts, dried pineapple, lime peel and coconut extract for the almonds, dried apricots, lemon peel and almond extract. Proceed as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 74 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cranberry Phyllo Triangles in The Taste of Home Baking Book 2nd Edition