Mediterranean Apricot Phyllo Bites
Apricot and almonds make these flaky little bites a delicious ending to a meal or a special evening snack. Try the tropical filling for another sensational treat.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup unblanched almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- Place almonds and apricots in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon butter, honey, lemon zest and extract; add almond mixture and stir until blended.
- Lightly brush one sheet of phyllo with remaining butter; place another sheet of phyllo on top and brush with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Cut the two layered sheets into three 14x3-in. strips.
- Place 1-1/2 teaspoons filling in lower corner of each strip. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Fold triangle up, then fold triangle over, forming another triangle. Continue folding, like a flag, until you come to the end of the strip. Brush end of dough with butter and press onto triangle to seal. Turn triangle and brush top with melted butter. Repeat.
- Place triangles on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Tropical Getaway Bites: Substitute macadamia nuts, dried pineapple, lime peel and coconut extract for the almonds, dried apricots, lemon peel and almond extract. Proceed as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 74 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.