Easy Spanakopita Appetizers
I love having appetizers on hand in the freezer, especially when the holiday season is fast approaching. This easy spanakopita recipe is one of my all-time favorites. Everyone loves them, they're easy to prep and they bake up in about 20 minutes! —Shannon Dobos, Calgary, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 15 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Tzatziki sauce and lemon wedges, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, mix the first nine ingredients. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Layer with two additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Arrange 3/4 cup spinach mixture in a narrow row along the long end of phyllo to within 1 in. of edges. Fold bottom edge of phyllo over filling, then roll up. Brush end of phyllo dough with butter and press to seal. Repeat four times. Place rolls on a parchment paper-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan, seam side down.
- Cut rolls diagonally into 2-in. pieces (do not separate). Brush tops with remaining butter. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. If desired, serve with tzatziki sauce, lemon wedges and additional fresh dill.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked rolls on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet until firm. Transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag; return to freezer. To use, bake rolls on a parchment paper-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan in a preheated 375° oven until heated through and golden brown, about 25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 96 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.