Total TimePrep: 40 min.
- 3/4 pound sourdough bread, cubed (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 pounds tomatoes (about 8 medium), chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- 1 cup thinly sliced roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup Greek olives, quartered
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh marjoram or 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, toss bread with oil and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, beans, artichokes, peppers, basil, onion, olives, capers and bread.
- In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts2-2/3 cups: 424 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1004mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 7g fiber), 13g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 7, 2019
This was absolutely delicious and was also a beautiful presentation. I kept the dressing on the side. It makes a great meal especially on hot days when I don't feel like cooking. My husband added freshly shaved parmesan to his.
Sep 13, 2016
Very good salad, I make it often. Recipe worked for me as it is written, I didn't have to make adjustments. :)
Jun 26, 2012
Great taste. I agree with harper723 and debharas. Will make often.
Aug 13, 2011
I loved this! Armed with the info from the prior reviews, I didn't toss the whole salad with dressing but served it on the side. I found it was delicious and I kept picking on this from the fridge later. I left out the olives and capers and used a fresh pepper from the garden. Definitely not expensive for us since most of the ingredients came from the garden or were already in my pantry. All I had to buy was sourdough bread and artichokes hearts (which were the one thing I didn't like in this).
May 11, 2011
Made this for a night poolside. It was fabulous! The flavor was great and I had to share the recipe with my friends as they wanted to make it! Let it stand 5 minutes before serving once you have put on the dressing.
Apr 8, 2011
Without dressing, I would give this salad 2.5 stars, but as written, it is terrible.Strike 1: The dressing overpowers the other flavors in what would otherwise be a delightfully flavorful salad--when you can't taste capers and greek olives, you know something's off. 5 bites in and the vinegar was so nauseating that I threw the lot in the trash and ate cold cereal for dinner. Sad, since there are a lot of pricey ingredients in there. My kids (ages 9, 7, 4) were finished with it after the first bite.Strike 2: the dressing made the toasted bread soggy right off, which killed the texture of the salad.Strike 3: The recipe makes a HUGE quantity, and to qualify as an entre, you have to eat a HEAPING dinner plate full of what should be an exciting salad, but is really a soggy mess of vinegar. You simply cannot taste the individual flavors.Suggested Changes: dress with a lighter flavored vinegarette; use fresh red peppers rather than roasted for better texture; add bread AFTER tossing salad with dressing to avoid soggy bread; if there will be leftovers, serve dressing on the side for better storage.
Apr 6, 2011
I made this recipe as a meat-free Lenten dinner. It made enough to last a few days and the flavors are wonderful. The only thing I changed was not tossing the dressing with the whole salad- I set out the dressing for people to add as they chose. Fantastic recipe all around!
Apr 3, 2011
Very good salad, unique taste makes this a winner. Love the bread incorporated into the salad. Ate as a meal and it was quite filling.