Sweet Potato Panzanella
This is my favorite fall lunch dish. It is filled with flavor and texture but isn't too high in calories. —Mary Leverette, Columbia, South Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 4 cups cubed French bread
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place sweet potatoes and water to cover in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, just until tender, 8-12 minutes. Drain; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, toss bread cubes with 2 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper. Spread evenly in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. pan. Bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly.
- Add spinach, onion, herbs and sweet potatoes to toasted bread. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and remaining oil. Drizzle over salad; toss gently to combine.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 142 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Panzanella in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018