Roasted Butternut Squash Panzanella
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 4 cups cubed sourdough bread
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, ground ginger, ground cumin and pepper
- 1 cup salted shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4 shallots, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place bread cubes in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; toss with 2 tablespoons oil. Bake 10-15 minutes or until toasted, stirring twice.
- Place squash in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Mix seasonings and remaining 3 tablespoons oil; drizzle over squash and toss to coat. Roast 35-45 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, squash, pumpkin seeds, cranberries and shallots. In a small saucepan, combine the first six dressing ingredients; heat through, stirring to blend. Remove from heat; gradually whisk in oil until blended.
- Drizzle 1/2 cup dressing over salad and toss to combine. (Save remaining dressing for another use.)
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 407 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 387mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 8g fiber), 9g protein.
Mar 19, 2020
We had this savory salad with grilled linguica sausage. After reading about using the leftover dressing for something else, I made only half a recipe. The combination of flavors is fantastic. Will make this again.
Nov 26, 2019
Delicious! My husband is not a butternut squash fan, but he couldn’t stop eating this. It was great the next day, too. The sauce is amazing.
Dec 15, 2016
Amazingly delicious. This is a keeper recipe
Jan 26, 2016
This was fantastic. I love butternut squash so I knew I would like this but was surprised at just how much I loved it. This is a must make!!!!!!!!
Dec 31, 2015
I enjoyed nibbling the leftovers fridge-cold even more. The flavors are so interesting in the dressing and the 'toss', that when I read that she does not add all the dressing to serve, I just added some over what would likely be finished in one sitting and reserved the remainders uncombined to keep the crunch. Next day I discovered it nice to dip small forkfulls into a side of the dressing to coat it much like before, but each bite separately with that glazing maple sweetness & horseradishy accent. Fun trailmix-type squash presentation!
May 25, 2015
Delicious!. I love Panzanella and this is a great variation of the classic Italian bread salad.
Mar 8, 2015
This recipe is delicious! We just kept re-filling our salad bowls.
Nov 18, 2014
The whole family enjoyed this dish, which can be difficult with everyone having different tastes. I will be making this for Thanksgiving!
Oct 14, 2014
MMMMM!!! EXCELLENT! This made 4 main dishes for us.