Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 chicken drumsticks or thighs
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1-inch cubes)
- 6 small potatoes, peeled
- 6 pieces of fresh or frozen corn on the cob (2 inches each)
- 3 carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, place the chicken, squash, potatoes, corn, carrots and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
- Serve over rice in a shallow soup bowl. Serve with hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper and cilantro or parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 416 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 968mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 8g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 21, 2017
Just a question. How can a recipe with potatoes, carrots, and squash have no carbs in it? Then what about the rice that it is served on?
Jan 6, 2010
I have made this several times, and I varied it a little bit each time, such as using zucchini and sometimes tomatoes. I also have used a whole cut-up chicken instead of just the drumsticks and thighs. I have varied the seasonings, too, such as using turmeric and cumin. It is a versatile recipe and always pleases my family when I serve it.