My mother taught me to make these rich, delicious bar cookies when I was young. Though I've tried many variations, I always come back to this old favorite.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from the heat; blend in sugar, cocoa, vanilla, egg, crumbs and coconut. Also add nuts if desired. Press into a 9-in. square pan. In a small bowl, cream 1/4 cup butter, pudding mix, milk and sugar. Spread over crumb layer; chill. Melt chocolate and 1 tablespoon butter; spread over pudding layer. Chill before cutting into bars.
Originally published as Nanaimo Bars in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.