This casserole is perfect for the holidays. It combines the spices of the Southwest with the comfort of a hearty morning breakfast. The recipe can be spiced up by adding cayenne and hot peppers, or mellowed by replacing the tomatoes and green chilies with mild salsa. The versatility and ease of preparation have made it a longtime favorite of my family. —Darlene Buerger, Peoria, Arizona
Recommended: Breakfast Burrito Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 ounces bulk lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salsa, optional
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- Additional chopped green onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes. Stir in tomatoes.
- Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray; place in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Line pie plate with half the tortillas. Sprinkle with half of each of the following: sausage mixture, cheeses and green onions. Repeat layers.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, paprika and cumin; pour slowly over layers. Bake, uncovered, until set, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into wedges. If desired, serve with sour cream, salsa, and additional green onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Tortilla Breakfast Bake in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p78