Sausage Polenta Bake
Polenta makes a tasty base for sausage in a tomato sauce in this casserole.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1-1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Hot Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 jar (24 ounces) garden-style spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine cornmeal and salt. Gradually add boiling water, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Spread polenta into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until no longer pink; drain. Add spaghetti sauce; cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Spread over polenta; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 311 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 887mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Polenta and Sausage Casserole in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.