Making stuffed portobellos for guys watching a hockey game was quite an endeavor. I made two dozen for six guys, and as the game got more exciting, they screamed for more. Scraping the gills from the underside of the mushroom is easy if you use a small teaspoon, gently, so as not to crack the cap. The amount of cheese, pepperoni and spices is entirely up to whatever satisfies your team. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Recommended: 95 Tasty Low-Carb Dinner Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (3 inches)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 12 slices pepperoni, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Remove and discard stems and gills from mushrooms; brush caps with oil. Place rounded sides down on an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the pizza sauce, pepperoni, green pepper and 1-1/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning; spoon onto mushrooms. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining Italian seasoning. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and cheese is bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Portobello Mushroom PIzza Cups in Taste of Home February/March 2012, p50
Reviews forPortobello Mushroom Pizza Cups
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 3, 2013
"Very fast, easy, and tasty!"