Italian Stuffed Portobellos
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 10 min.
- 4 ounces sliced pancetta or bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook pancetta in 1 tablespoon oil until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir onions until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and pancetta. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with remaining oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; stir in goat cheese and onions.
- Brush mushrooms with oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until tender. Fill mushrooms with onion mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with basil.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 349 calories, 25g fat (7g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 828mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein.
Sep 18, 2016
It's absolutely wonderful when we made it EXACTLY as the recipe indicates.
Jun 29, 2012
First time eating and cooking portobellos. this was divine. Added a little worchesterstire to the onions, and omitted the cheese. Yum
Sep 11, 2011
These are a winner at picnics and BBQ's! I took them as a side dish, and people put the mushroom on their burger roll instead of the burger! I cheat on the garlic step though...I just saute garlic in with the onions.
Mar 22, 2011
It was fabulous! I did not have pancetta or bacon on hand and it was still good. My husband loved it as well.
Feb 4, 2011
Never used portobello mushrooms before, this was a meal in itself. Took leftovers to work, my lunch mates asked for the recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.