I serve portobello fajitas family-style so guests can build their own. Just pass the tortillas and garnishes like salsa, cheese, guacamole and sour cream. —Carolyn Butterfield, Lake Stevens, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 large portobello mushrooms (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: salsa, guacamole and sour cream
- Remove and discard stems from mushrooms; with a spoon, scrape and remove gills. Cut mushrooms into 1/2-in. slices and place in a large bowl. Add pepper and onion; drizzle with salad dressing and toss to coat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a lightly greased grill wok or open grill basket; place on grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium-high heat 10-12 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Drizzle vegetables with lime juice. Serve with tortillas, cheese and toppings as desired.
Editor's Note: If you do not have a grill wok or basket, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liquid to drain.
Nutrition Facts1 fajita (calculated without optional toppings): 282 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 664mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Portobello Fajitas in Simple & Delicious April/May 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.