Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Optional: Sliced avocado and lime wedges
- For salsa, place first 5 ingredients in a small bowl; stir in 1 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let stand until serving.
- Sprinkle steak with the remaining cumin and salt. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°), 6-8 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until crisp-tender. Slice steak thinly across the grain; serve in tortillas with onion and salsa. If desired, serve with avocado and lime wedges.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 fajita: 329 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Dec 27, 2018
Love the fresh ingredients and colorful appearance! You can modify the heat by either using all of it in the salsa or by reserving some for those who like things hot. I added some green pepper to this, too, because I like the flavor it adds.
Jul 28, 2014
I had to modify this to suit ingredients I had on hand. To save money I used thin-cut round steak--will not do that again! I substituted green bell pepper for the jalapeno, had to omit the cilantro. It was good, but it would have been better if I had followed the recipe more closely. Will try again.
May 10, 2011
LOVE THESE! I used two jalapenos for extra heat and it made these really spicy and good.
Jul 23, 2010
The tomato relish is awesome it really makes the fajitas amazing!