We're always looking for satisfying vegetarian meals, and this one tops the list. These melts are especially delicious in the summer when we have tons of homegrown tomatoes. —Amy Smalley, Morehead, Kentucky
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 large portobello mushrooms (4 ounces each), stems removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 tomato slices
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- Chopped fresh basil
- Preheat broiler. Place mushrooms in a shallow bowl. Mix oil, vinegar, salt and dried basil; brush onto both sides of mushrooms. Let stand 5 minutes. Reserve remaining marinade.
- Place mushrooms on a greased rack of a broiler pan, stem side down. Broil mushrooms 4 in. from heat until tender, 3-4 minutes per side. Top stem sides with tomato and cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Place bread on a baking sheet; brush with reserved marinade. Broil 4 in. from heat until lightly toasted, 45-60 seconds. Top with mushrooms. Sprinkle with chopped basil.
Health Tip: If you skip the bread to make this low-carb, you can use half the vinaigrette, saving almost 15 grams of fat and 400 milligrams of sodium per serving.
Nutrition Facts1 open-faced sandwich: 460 calories, 35g fat (7g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 934mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.