Air-Fryer Portobello Melts
We're always looking for satisfying vegetarian meals, and this air-fryer sandwich recipe tops the list. These melts are especially delicious in the summer when we have tons of homegrown tomatoes. —Amy Smalley, Morehead, Kentucky
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 large portobello mushrooms (4 ounces each), stems removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 tomato slices
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- Chopped fresh basil
- Place mushrooms in a shallow bowl. Mix oil, vinegar, salt and dried basil; brush onto both sides of mushrooms. Let stand 5 minutes. Reserve remaining marinade. Preheat air fryer to 400°.
- Place mushrooms on greased tray in air-fryer basket, stem side down. Cook until tender, 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from basket. Top stem sides with tomato and cheese; secure with toothpicks. Cook until cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Remove and keep warm; discard toothpicks.
- Place bread on tray in air-fryer basket; brush with reserved marinade. Cook until lightly toasted, 2-3 minutes. Top with mushrooms. Sprinkle with chopped basil.
Test Kitchen tip