Pizza Quinoa Casserole
If you like pizza night, give this healthy quinoa casserole a try! It's a fun way to sneak in a healthy meal packed with protein and veggies. —Julie Peterson, Crofton, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min. + standing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced turkey pepperoni
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Optional toppings: Minced fresh basil, sliced olives, drained sun-dried tomatoes, banana peppers and red pepper flakes
- Select saute setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, cook and stir sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, 5-7 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Press cancel.
- Stir in mushrooms and broth. Add quinoa (do not stir). Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 2 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Press cancel.
- Stir in pizza sauce, pepperoni and green pepper; cover and let stand until pepper softens slightly, 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle servings with cheeses. If desired, serve with optional toppings.
- Slow-cooker option: In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes, breaking up sausage into large crumbles. Drain.
- Transfer sausage and onion to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in mushrooms, broth and quinoa. Cook, covered, 5 hours; stir in pizza sauce, pepperoni and green pepper. Cook, covered, 1 hour or until pepper is tender. Sprinkle servings with cheeses. If desired, serve with optional toppings.
Test Kitchen tips