Pizza Quinoa Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min. + standing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced turkey pepperoni
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Optional toppings: Minced fresh basil, sliced olives, drained sun-dried tomatoes, banana peppers and red pepper flakes
- Select saute setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, cook and stir sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, 5-7 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Press cancel.
- Stir in mushrooms and broth. Add quinoa (do not stir). Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 2 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Press cancel.
- Stir in pizza sauce, pepperoni and green pepper; cover and let stand until pepper softens slightly, 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle servings with cheeses. If desired, serve with optional toppings.
- Slow-cooker option: In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes, breaking up sausage into large crumbles. Drain.
- Transfer sausage and onion to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in mushrooms, broth and quinoa. Cook, covered, 5 hours; stir in pizza sauce, pepperoni and green pepper. Cook, covered, 1 hour or until pepper is tender. Sprinkle servings with cheeses. If desired, serve with optional toppings.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 350 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 1481mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Nov 30, 2019
I made this with the slow cooker option. It came together easily and was delicious both the first night and also for leftovers!
Oct 22, 2019
Really good and filling! You don’t even miss the pizza crust. Easy to double for lunch leftovers.
Oct 22, 2019
Delicious and quick in IP.