Orange Rice Medley
My family especially enjoys this lovely, slightly sweet side dish. It looks so pretty with the harvest colors of chopped green and red peppers and orange slices tucked in with the rice. -Zita Wilensky, North Miami, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained and coarsely chopped
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add rice; stir until lightly browned. Add broth, orange juice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in oranges.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 137 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 252mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Orange Rice Medley Side Dish in Taste of Home October/November 1996
Nov 17, 2010
Nov 9, 2009
This tastes great and looks so nice. My family really enjoys this dish. My boys have asked for the recipe to make at college, because it is so easy to make and not to exspensive.