Orange Chicken and Veggies with Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/3 cup cornstarch, divided
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch, orange juice, soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Place remaining cornstarch in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons oil for 7-9 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute carrots in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add green pepper and onion; saute 2-3 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 454 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Feb 12, 2014
Hubby liked it okay. I guess I don't like orange flavor with my chicken. He'd give it 3 stars, I'd give it 1 so I settled for 2. =)
May 25, 2011
I read all of the reviews before making this and made 2 adjustments that resulted in the five-star rating. First, I doubled the sauce as others suggested. Yum! Doubling the sauce resulted in the perfect amount. Second, I added the zest of an orange to add some more orange flavor. That made a big difference, I think. With these two adjustments, this recipe is a keeper!
Nov 17, 2009
This was pretty good but I was expecting more intense orange flavor. The only change I made was to add two garlic cloves. It was such a pretty colorful dish to look it and does have potential - I suggest doubling the sauce so there's a little extra for the rice and adding a can of mandarin oranges and maybe a little more sugar to add more of an orange flavor. . .
Jul 11, 2009
This was very good-I added a little hoisin sauce to give it a little more flavor. Really easy to make. Thanks
May 28, 2009
That was one of the worst recipes I've tried from simple and delicious. My daughter actually spit it out of her mouth :(
Mar 21, 2009
I really enjoyed this recipe. I added granulated garlic and ground ginger to the recipe which enhanced the flavor nicely. I had all the ingredients on hand to make it and I will definitely make this one again.