Mom’s Super Stupendous Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 3 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, divided
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, plus extra for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Skewer garlic with a toothpick (to make it easy to find after cooking). Place potatoes, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt and skewered garlic in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until tender, 10-12 minutes. Drain potatoes, reserving garlic; remove skewer and crush garlic.
- Meanwhile, chop 5 eggs. Whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, paprika, pepper, garlic and remaining vinegar and salt. Stir in potatoes, chopped eggs, onion and celery. Refrigerate 4 hours or until cold.
- Just before serving, slice remaining egg. Top salad with egg; sprinkle with parsley and, if desired, additional paprika.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 281 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 472mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 30, 2018
Good potato salad recipe that reminded me of my mom’s recipe but with a few extra goodies. I made as written.
Jul 4, 2018
This is the same recipe my mother-in-law gave me. Only I do not use any vinegar. I love it and so does my family and friends.
Nov 1, 2016
I was never a fan of potato salad with mayo ...until now. The addition of sour cream makes it taste much better. We used garlic in a tube instead of a garlic clove (and didn't have to hunt for it!) This recipe contains just about everything I can imagine in a potato salad, except maybe pickles - which wouldn't be hard to add!
Sep 13, 2016
Sorry my family did not like and I took to a picnic and had alot left in bowl to bring home. Will not make again.
Aug 3, 2016
Excellent. Just the right amount of zip in the dressing, and the sour cream balances the mayo to make it creamy and delicious. Definitely my new (traditional) potato salad recipe.
Jul 7, 2016
This is a flavorful, delicious potato salad! The addition of garlic, vinegar, and sour cream makes all the difference. Love it!
Jun 14, 2016
Made this over the weekend and loved it! The subtle hint of garlic and vinegar in the dressing, along with the sour cream adds a nice depth of flavor! I used russet potatoes and malt vinegar because that's what I had on hand and used a few more potatoes than called for, so I made a bit more dressing. This will be my "go to" potato salad recipe this summer! Thank you, Ellie Martin Cliffe! Super stupendous!
May 24, 2016
Made this for dinner last night, was wonderful! Full of flavor. Make note of the split vinegar & salt, not adding those to the dressing will certainly make for a bland salad.
May 23, 2016
This is an awesome potato salad. Sure it is not spicy nor zingy, but potato salad isn't supposed to be. You should be able to taste the potatoes, the celery, the sweet onions. If you want spicy, make salsa. The version we had used low fat sour cream and mayo and it was still good. I would make it again.
May 23, 2016
I too found this recipe to be very bland in flavor and I followed the recipe to a T. I would not make it again without some major modifications. Hubby didn't like it either and I wished that I had just made my regular potato salad. Thought that this might be a nice change but it was a big disappointment. Sorry about that.