Mock Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min.
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 18 saltines, halved
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place bottom pastry in a 9-in. pie plate. Layer crackers in shell; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Carefully pour over crackers (filling will be very thin). Cool for 10 minutes. Cut lattice strips from remaining pastry; place over filling. Seal and flute edges. Bake at 400° for 25-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 414 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 282mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 23, 2016
I was wondering if you could use more crackers to make a more filling pie this one's kind of thin.
Nov 1, 2013
Surprise! When apples are not abound try this fun recipe. I have made this recipe a number of times and it has always turned out great. We use buttery round Ritz style crackers, cut in half. This lends itself very well to looking like cut apples. Out of family preference, we do a simple cinnamon, brown sugar and nut topping. Adds a wonderful crunch to this fun pie! Like most fruit pies it is best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Nov 25, 2011
i make this with ritz crackers tastes more like apples. hubby still dont know there are no apples in it.
Aug 30, 2009
Hello everyone.I recently found this recipie on heloise. But it didnt call for lemon juice. I also used the saltine crackers. My question is after you boil the water with the cream of tarter in it , it says to put in the 20 crackers. Do you break them up or just lay then in the liquid mixture? Ive made the pie and waiting for it to cool. hope it turns out. I had to add the sugar and cinnamon mixture and tabs of butter on the top crust as i didnt see to add the cinnamon and butter in the liquid? please help. would love to make this for my hubby as he loves pies. thank you in advance
Mar 29, 2009
I USE RITZ CRACKERS INSTEAD OF SALTINES, IT COMES OUT GREAT...EVEN SMELLS LIKE APPLE PIE..