Mock Apple Strudel
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 cups chopped tart apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chopped nuts, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- Roll out into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Brush with melted butter. Top with apples; sprinkle with cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Place on a parchment paper-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan to a wire rack. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla; drizzle over warm strudel. Sprinkle with nuts if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 200 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 20, 2011
This was delicious and easy to make! It was a great Sunday morning family breakfast.
Oct 3, 2011
Question. When I make items like this, I don't have time in the morning, how would you store this? Wrapped in plastic wrap or foil? Would you put the glaze on at night or just before you would serve it? My pastries always come out flaky then the next day they soften. I hate that!
Sep 26, 2011
Easy to make. Delicious. Make sure you chop the apples very finely or grate with grater. The glaze is too heavy. I would half it next time. Warm with a little ice cream ws excellent. I didn't both with the nuts.
Sep 25, 2011
No one knew it wasn't made with applesEasy to make also!
Sep 22, 2011
I thought is was excellent. Easy to make. I halved the recipe so all that are worried about the butter, lighten up. Not that much really and half reciple made a good size portion that was devoured. I agreee, add some whole wheat flour if you chose. This recipe is great.
Sep 22, 2011
Very easy to make but looks fancy and even my pickiest child loved it.
Sep 22, 2011
This is incredibly yummy! It just about melts in your mouth. Just make sure you don't roll the dough to thin as it wants to fall apart. Absolutely wonderful!
Sep 20, 2011
The only reason I give this 4 stars rather than 5 is that I found the icing made it a bit sweet for my taste. Eaten warm and without the icing, it would make a great breakfast treat. My family really enjoyed it!
Sep 19, 2011
Great treat! Everyone enjoyed this new recipe. Very simple, with just a few ingredients which I always have on hand!
Sep 18, 2011
Had a few apples left on my tree so thought...why not try it! Glad I did - ended up making 2 of them. Thought it was very good - not quite a "true blue" strudel but a great substitute and way easier than apple pie!