Praline-Topped Apple Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apples
- 1-1/4 cups chopped pecans, toasted, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat sugar, sour cream, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in apples and 1 cup pecans.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar; boil 1 minute. Spoon over bread. Sprinkle with remaining pecans; let stand until set.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 288 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 3, 2017
The very best ever
Feb 17, 2017
I prepared this bread today and cannot stop raving about it. This is spectacular. I made no changes to the recipe. A warning, though. The batter is extremely thick when everything has been added. Also, I used 1 1/2 Granny Smith medium sized apples to make 1 1/2 cups. One of the reviewers mentioned that. Remember, when making the topping, stir constantly until it starts boiling and when it comes to a rolling boil, start timing. This recipe is beyond good. I highly recommend this recipe.Volunteer Field Editor.
Sep 11, 2016
I am so pleased with this recipe. I made it and I could not believe how delicious it is. I love the frosting on top, the sweet and tart flavors were great. Can't wait to share this recipe.
Sep 5, 2016
I made this last night after reading the reviews. I did add some ground cinnamon to the dry ingredients. I also used 1-1/2 C. chopped & peeled apples. They were not Granny Smith but I had them on hand & wanted to use them up. They were not "cooking" apples & kind of got lost in the bread. I could taste them, but they were not as chunky as I would have liked. Next time I won't be so impatient & use Granny Smith! I'm sure that would move my review up to a 5 ! The praline was EXCELLENT! Will be making this again real soon!
Dec 10, 2015
Baked the apple bread today ..... delicious, moist, not as sweet as I feared ..... Sonja .....I thank you ..... it will be a staple in my home ..... I cut a small slice to taste ..... Ended up eating 3more slices ..... am having friends over for dinner tomorrow, and know it will be a huge hit .....again thank you!!!
Nov 27, 2015
The absolute apple bread ever! My family loves it.
Nov 8, 2015
Dec 5, 2014
wonderful ! will definitely make again
Sep 22, 2014
Moist and delicious. the praline glaze makes it a treat for those with a sweet tooth. Toasting the pecans gives them a flavorful crunch.
Sep 23, 2013
This bread is SO good and a nice change from banana bread during the fall/winter!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.