Easy Apple Strudel
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups coarsely chopped peeled apples
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place raisins, water and extract in a large microwave-save bowl; microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-1/2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain. Add apples, 1/3 cup sugar, flour and cinnamon; toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter and oil; remove 2 teaspoons mixture for brushing top. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush lightly with some of the butter mixture. (Keep remaining remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Layer with seven additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer with some of the butter mixture. Spread apple mixture over phyllo to within 2 in. of one long side.
- Fold the short edges over filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting from the side with a 2-in. border. Transfer to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush with reserved butter mixture; sprinkle with remaining sugar. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in top of strudel.
- Bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 229 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 30, 2017
Easy and so delicious, this apple strudel is a dessert I make a lot. If I'm being honest, it's also one of my favorite breakfast items. Also good as a late night snack. If you can't tell, it's really delicious anytime of the day. I make a simple vanilla sauce to go with it and it's like a touch of Bavaria.
Mar 23, 2014
Big hit at brunch. This was my first experiment with phyllo so I didn't mess with the sugar and use "fake" sugar. I will next time, now that I have more experience with the dough.
Mar 12, 2011
This is a staple in my house. Everyone loves it and can't believe it's light.
Dec 23, 2008
This recipe is almost as yummy as my grandma's authentic apple strudel without the hard work and heaps of calories!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.