Easy Cherry Strudels
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 strudels (5 slices each)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/3 cup juice. In a large saucepan, combine the cherries, sugar, cranberries and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Combine cornstarch and reserved juice and add to the pan. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in walnuts.
- Unfold one pastry sheet and cut in half. Mound half of the cherry mixture on one pastry half to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with remaining pastry half; pinch edges to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- Place on a greased foil-lined baking sheet. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits into tops of strudels; brush with egg. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 506 calories, 25g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 2, 2013
This is an amazing recipe. Delicious. Best cherry dessert I have ever made or tasted!
Dec 21, 2010
Tasty, quick and easy. Everyone really enjoyed these rich pastries.
Dec 18, 2009
Easy to make and very good. I cooked the filling while I was making dinner, not difficult.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.