Pear Mushroom Strudels
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 strudels (12 slices each)
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 small pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook mushrooms and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in pears; cook 3 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the Gruyere, almonds, mustard, salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature.
- Melt remaining butter. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush evenly with butter. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese. Layer with four more sheets of phyllo, brushing each sheet with butter and sprinkling with cheese. (Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Spread half of the pear mixture in a 2-in.-wide strip along a short side of dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with the pear side; pinch seams to seal. Brush with butter. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo, butter, Parmesan cheese and pear mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes. Cut each strudel into 12 slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 83 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Nov 24, 2016
Tasty, but a lot of work with the layers of phyllo.
May 22, 2014
This recipe is amazing. Everyone loved it. This was my first time using phyllo successful ly.
Jan 5, 2013
Delicious, and a better class of recipe than the piles of common recipes out there.
May 6, 2012
the best hands down,, made it for our church potluck and now that's a regular request
Jul 17, 2011
This was amazing! I had my doubts at first, but the pear and mushroom went together PERFECTLY and this was a favorite amongst my guests.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.