Mushroom & Leek Strudel
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + cooling Bake: 20 min. + standing
Makes2 strudels (12 slices each)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, finely chopped, divided
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add half of the mushrooms and leek. Cook and stir until mushrooms are lightly browned and leek is tender; remove from pan. Repeat with remaining butter, mushrooms and leek, adding garlic during the last minute of cooking. Return all to pan.
- Stir in wine and cream; cook 1-2 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated. Stir in herbs, salt and pepper. Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Layer with five additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Spoon half of the mushroom mixture down center third of phyllo dough to within 1 in. of ends. Sprinkle filling with 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold up short sides to enclose filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side.
- Transfer to a parchment paper-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan, seam side down. Brush with additional butter. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 100 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 6, 2019
Tasty and attractive. Made as written. They take a little time to prepare, but they are fancy looking and tasty.
Feb 4, 2017
Used dried mushrooms and puff pastry instead of phyllo. Was much faster. Delicious.
Feb 23, 2016
Excellent! I used some wild mushrooms l had dried and rehydrated them. I would make this again....for sure. Janet. VFE