Makeover Pineapple Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 slices white bread, cubed
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1 cup juice; set pineapple and juice aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in egg whites. Stir in flour, then reserved pineapple and juice. Gently fold in bread cubes.
- Spoon into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until top is lightly golden. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 229 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 fruit.
Feb 22, 2014
Haven't made pineapple casserole for 5 years or more.... decided to try this lighter version and it is SO delicious! My visitors had never had it and the dish went around and around and soon there was hardly any left. I doubled the recipe and put it in a 9x13, it was fairly thick and it baked for 50 minutes. Perfect.
Apr 14, 2013
I never had pineapple casserole before making this. It is absolutely wonderful. I'll be making this again, for sure!!! :)
Jan 7, 2013
Where is the recipe?
Apr 2, 2012
This was easy to make and my family liked it. I added a pinch of cinnamon. :)
Mar 24, 2011
i used equal instead of sugar. love it.
Mar 24, 2011
I love this dish and have wanted a healthier version. Thank you so much! I think I actually like it better than the original.
Jun 7, 2010
tastes sinfully delicious!
Nov 13, 2009
This is a wonderful dish when you're trying to eat healthy. I have substituted whole grain cinnamon bread for the white (Pepperidge Farm) to beef it up a bit.
Aug 5, 2009
I've made this several times and always receive rave reviews!
Apr 13, 2009
Quick, simple & oh, SO GOOD! One I'll be sure to make again!pattimac
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.