Makeover Pineapple Nut Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar blend
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, sugar blend and baking soda. Combine eggs and pineapple; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in nuts.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 32-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda sugar blend.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 253 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 3, 2019
I thought this was a bit disappointing. The frosting and texture were terrific but the cake needed more spice. I will try again adding some ground ginger and pineapple extract.
Jan 13, 2019
Amazing, made it three times for the son-in-law, he's hooked. Just made your carrot cake, hope it's as perfect at this one.
Oct 11, 2012
i made it, and it's very goodddddddddddand so easy...i don't use sugar cause in méxico the canned pineapple has sugar...:)
May 8, 2012
I added a half cup of sugar sub and forgot the other 1/2 cup sugar and it was still excellent
Feb 18, 2012
This recipe was a big hit at our church dinner tonight. Easy easy easy to put together. Just prepare with the toasted nuts ahead of the recipe.
Jun 14, 2011
You can make Powdered Sugar with Splenda, use the amount you would use of Splenda and add 2 tsps of corn starch in a blender. Blend for less than a minute and you will have powdered sugar. I got this idea from calling Splenda a few years ago. It really works. My husband and I are Diabetic.
Jun 14, 2011
This is very good. Note: You can make Powdered Sugar with Splenda, use the amount you would use of Splenda and add 2 tsps of corn starch in a blender. Blend for less than a minutes and you will have powdered sugar. I got this idea from calling Splenda a few years ago. It really works.
Jun 6, 2011
This was an easy cake to make. I took it to my bridge club and it was gone in 15 min. Should have made 2 cakes.
Apr 30, 2011
I made this dessert tonight for a family get together. I did not have the sugar blend on hand, so used 1 cup regular sugar. Everyone enjoyed it, and they were surprised it was a lighter dessert. Very moist and not too sweet cake. The cream cheese frosting is perfect with the cake.
Apr 18, 2011
Actually if I were to be asked: "Did these reviews of this recipe help you?" I would have to say a resounding NO. Very confused mish mash of reviews. Guess I will find another recipe.