- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium tomato, cut into wedges
- Hot cooked rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and reserved juice until smooth. Stir in the vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce and ginger; set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, stir-fry the chicken in 2 tablespoons oil for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink; sprinkle with garlic salt. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir-fry the carrots in remaining oil for 4 minutes. Add green pepper; cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add chicken and pineapple.
- Stir pineapple juice mixture; pour into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the tomato wedges. Serve with rice.
1 cup: 283 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 492mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fruit, 1 fat.