Chicken Pineapple Stir-Fry
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium tomato, cut into wedges
- Hot cooked rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and reserved juice until smooth. Stir in the vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce and ginger; set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, stir-fry the chicken in 2 tablespoons oil for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink; sprinkle with garlic salt. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir-fry the carrots in remaining oil for 4 minutes. Add green pepper; cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add chicken and pineapple.
- Stir pineapple juice mixture; pour into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the tomato wedges. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 283 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 492mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fruit, 1 fat.
Jul 20, 2015
Apr 8, 2015
Very yummy and full of flavour! I switched up the veggies a bit to our liking :)
Jul 3, 2014
Really tasty, kids loved it, agree adding broccoli or snap peas & julienne onions would add color & taste. Sauce was too thick but that might've been due to using 20 oz of a whole pineapple. Had no idea how much juice might be in a can for this substitution so poured pineapple juice into the cornstarch to the consistency I thought it should be. Next time I'll know to use more juice. I also crushed a garlic clove instead of garlic salt. As a result of my 'from scratch' ingredients, 25 min prep was way too short. Used an electric wok & cook time alone was 15 minutes. No way 1.5lbs cubed chicken (3 large breasts) can be done in 5-6 min.
Jan 20, 2012
My family really enjoys this stir fry.
Apr 13, 2011
A really good stir-fry with a really flavorful sauce. My family really loved it. Quick and easy to make as well. We served it over japanese sticky rice and it was super delicious!
Apr 10, 2010
We really enjoyed this recipe. I used a mixture of red & green peppers & added some julienned onion & sliced mushrooms. I think it would also be good if some brocolli florets, green beans, asparagus, or sugar snap peas were added.
Dec 10, 2008
I made this last night and it was wonderful! I eliminated the tomato and added an extra green pepper. I used two cloves of garlic in the sauce instead of garlic salt. I also added an extra tablespoon of brown sugar and cornstarch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.