- 3/4 cup brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-3/4 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place lentils and broth in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with parchment, letting ends extend up sides. Coat paper with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute carrots, onion and mushrooms until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in herbs. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly.
- Add cheese, rice, egg, egg white, seasonings and lentils to vegetables; mix well. Transfer to prepared loaf pan. Mix tomato paste and water; spread over loaf.
- Bake until a thermometer inserted into the center reads 160°, 45-50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
1 piece: 213 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 580mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.