Lentil Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 5 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 14 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, peppers and carrot; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add broth and lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, honey, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve on buns.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 215 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 438mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 21, 2019
tastes good, a little too sloppy. Next time I will cook and drain the lentils then add the rest of the ingredients. I left out the peppers and added baby greens. This would be easy to make in a instapot multi-cooker.
Feb 18, 2019
Nice bite and sloppy too! We loved the spicy seasoning. Great way to eat lentils.
Feb 4, 2019
Really liked the flavor and so did my husband. We had to erase our expectations of it tasting like regular sloppy joes. The lentils did take longer to cook than 15 minutes - more like 25. Do not be tempted to add more liquid like I did because they were not soft after 15 minutes and I was afraid they would stick. They ended up way too sloppy and I had to cook them down a lot after they were done. Another mistake I made was chopping everything too fine. It did not turn out like the picture. It had the consistency of thick spaghetti sauce. I would definitely chop the tomatoes bigger. I followed the recipe exactly but it took a lot longer for me that the recipe stated. Would make again.