Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in meat crumbles and pepper; heat through.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir until blended. Stir in ketchup and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve on buns.
Editor's NoteVegetarian meat crumbles are a nutritious protein source made from soy. Look for them in the natural foods freezer section.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 273 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 815mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Nov 4, 2014
My son and I made this tonight. My son got the idea of saut?ing kale and carrot greens and topping the burgers with them. Excellent idea!
Mar 3, 2014
I have just recently became a vegetarian and this was one of the first recipes I tried. I added red pepper flakes and a dash of hot sauce and these were delicious!
Dec 4, 2013
I highly recommend using tomato paste instead of sauce and add green peppers after you cook the onions. Makes a world of difference.
Jan 6, 2013
Wow! I love this! I don't really remember what meat-atarian sloppy joes taste like, but I'm SURE this is better. We also used home made tomato sauce. Mmmmm...
Apr 13, 2012
This was pretty good..and I'm not a fan of vegetarian meat substitute.
Feb 1, 2012
Feb 25, 2010
These are delicious!
Feb 25, 2010
These are delicous!