Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in meat crumbles and pepper; heat through.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir until blended. Stir in ketchup and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve on buns.
Editor's NoteVegetarian meat crumbles are a nutritious protein source made from soy. Look for them in the natural foods freezer section.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 273 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 815mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Nov 4, 2014
My son and I made this tonight. My son got the idea of saut?ing kale and carrot greens and topping the burgers with them. Excellent idea!
Mar 3, 2014
I have just recently became a vegetarian and this was one of the first recipes I tried. I added red pepper flakes and a dash of hot sauce and these were delicious!
Dec 4, 2013
I highly recommend using tomato paste instead of sauce and add green peppers after you cook the onions. Makes a world of difference.
Jan 6, 2013
Wow! I love this! I don't really remember what meat-atarian sloppy joes taste like, but I'm SURE this is better. We also used home made tomato sauce. Mmmmm...
Apr 13, 2012
This was pretty good..and I'm not a fan of vegetarian meat substitute.
Feb 1, 2012
Feb 25, 2010
These are delicious!
Feb 25, 2010
These are delicous!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.