Sloppy Joe Dogs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- SLOPPY JOE TOPPING:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 hot dogs
- 16 hot dog buns, split
- Warmed process cheese sauce and grilled onions, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato soup, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, salt and garlic powder; heat through.
- Grill hot dogs, covered, over medium heat for 6-10 minutes or until heated through, turning occasionally. Serve on buns. Top each with 1/4 cup beef mixture. Top with warmed process cheese sauce and grilled onions if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 422 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 959mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 5, 2018
The only change I made was to use red bell pepper instead of green. I actually made the topping ahead and split it into a few batches. Some I stashed in the freezer, and the rest I kept in the fridge. This made the meal come together super quickly. I just reheated the sloppy joe mixture in a disposable pan on the grill while I cooked the hot dogs. Absolutely perfect served on New England style buns.
Nov 12, 2015
My DH wasn't wild about it. He enjoys a simpler recipe.
Nov 16, 2014
Good stuff! Used it for sloppy joes as well, hence the name! We will make this again!
Aug 15, 2014
Where I'm from this is just hot dog sauce. Will try this one though. Maybe skip the cheese.
Aug 10, 2014
Where I'm from this is a hot dog with chili....yum!!
Aug 9, 2014
This is excellent! I added teaspoon chili powder and 15 oz can tomato soup. Such a quick and tasty recipe to put on hamburger buns also.
Aug 9, 2014
Made with Sabret Hot Dogs. Only one supermarket down here in the Big Bend carry them and they sell out fast. Wonderful Sloppy Joe recipe. Better than anything I had as a kid! I did the grilled onions and don't think you should leave them out.
Aug 9, 2014
I made this to take to a picnic where there was going to be hot dogs..boy, did this ever go over with a bang!!! came home with an empty dish..and request for the recipe..very tasty
Jun 21, 2014
Love this! Our Favorite!
Nov 29, 2013
I never thought I would find a sloppy joe recipe that is better than my mom's, but I did!