Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in the ketchup, chilies, broth, chili sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, spread cut sides of buns with butter. Place on baking sheets, buttered side up. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve beef mixture in buns.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 354 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1187mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Mar 18, 2018
These are my FAVORITE! I made them just as directed. I will mak these again and again! So much wonderful flavor.
Feb 25, 2018
Very good! I doubled except only 1 can chilies, 1 1/2 c ketchup, no red pepper flakes, and I threw in a couple tablespoons of my taco seasoning. I will be making these again.
Jun 2, 2016
These were very good, however I didn't really pick up a big "tex-mex" flavor.
Feb 15, 2016
Delicious! I added a little brown sugar to it, but didn't change anything else. I'll make this again, definitely.
Apr 17, 2015
I thought this recipe was very good. I added cilantro, used pork instead of beef, and cut down on the ketchup, but that was all just based on what we had--worked out great.
Apr 24, 2014
This is the best sloppy joe recipe I have ever had! We love spicy in our family and this has just the right amount! Even my 8 year old son loved them and he usually doesn't eat sloppy joes!
Oct 15, 2013
This will be our "go to" sloppy joe recipe. Hubby an I love the spiciness of this. Hubby said this will be his carry-in contribution for his companies annual Christmas party. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Sep 26, 2013
These are by far the best sloppy joes I have ever had and my new favorite recipe. For my personal tastes I use dry minced onion and leave out the green chilies but for a crowd I do it as written.
Jul 25, 2013
Made this for a 'handful of men' at a men's meeting & was sorry to learn they didn't like it. The other reviews were so favorable.
Apr 7, 2013
Loved this new way to make sloppy joes. I made a few changes. I used 3/4 cup ketchup instead of a full cup and extra lean ground beef. I imagine turkey would be good too. Delicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.