Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in the ketchup, chilies, broth, chili sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, spread cut sides of buns with butter. Place on baking sheets, buttered side up. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve beef mixture in buns.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 354 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1187mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 15, 2020
This was really good. Love the flavor from the chilies. We like more heat so we topped with jalapenos.
Mar 24, 2019
This was so easy and tasty! I haven’t made sloppy joes in years, but this will now be one of my go-to dinner recipes.
Mar 7, 2019
You can find the “PIN” option thru the “Share” feature (next to Rate, Comment, Save)
Mar 6, 2019
Excellent! I made this for a church lunch and they loved every bite! I added a chopped red bell pepper and 1 Tbsp each of Worcestershire and vinegar. Made it early in the day so that flavors could develop and meld.
Feb 15, 2019
This is a great recipe. I have made this, doubled the recipe and added 1 pound of ground pork. I then cooked 2 cups of raw rice and added it to the meat mixture in a 9 X 13 pan. Then covered with Shredded cheese and baked 45 min at 350. Makes a very tasty casserole.
Feb 5, 2019
Very tasty ! I added 1 chopped Jalapeño pepper and I did not have chili sauce so I used salsa instead, otherwise I followed the recipe. I will be making this to my meal rotation.
Mar 18, 2018
These are my FAVORITE! I made them just as directed. I will mak these again and again! So much wonderful flavor.
Feb 25, 2018
Very good! I doubled except only 1 can chilies, 1 1/2 c ketchup, no red pepper flakes, and I threw in a couple tablespoons of my taco seasoning. I will be making these again.
Jun 2, 2016
These were very good, however I didn't really pick up a big "tex-mex" flavor.
Feb 15, 2016
Delicious! I added a little brown sugar to it, but didn't change anything else. I'll make this again, definitely.