Kung Pao Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons Sriracha chili sauce
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 package broccoli coleslaw mix (12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- 6 hamburger buns, split or flour tortillas (8 inches)
- Fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef, red pepper and 2 green onions over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add garlic, ginger and chili sauce; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, 4 tablespoons vinegar, water, 1 tablespoon oil, cornstarch and brown sugar until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- For the slaw, in a large bowl, combine coleslaw mix, remaining 2 green onions, 2 tablespoons vinegar and 2 tablespoons oil; toss to coat. Spoon 1/2 cup beef mixture onto bun bottoms. Top with 1/2 cup slaw and peanuts. If desired, top with cilantro leaves. Serve remaining slaw on the side. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 461 calories, 21g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 1299mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
May 15, 2020
Excellent meal! My husband and kids eat it with hamburger buns, while I enjoy mixing the meat and the broccoli slaw as a salad.
Apr 26, 2020
Loved these! Great weeknight dinner, with some spice but not too much and the slaw topping is a great extra crunch.
Feb 9, 2020
made this today. Substituted ground turkey for ground beef. Served over cooked Bulgar wheat. Fun thing about sloppy Joe's filling is that it goes nice with anything you have on hand, like chips or potatoes. Enjoy this version of Sloppy Joe's. I did.
Jan 29, 2020
This was excellent! Next time I know to double the recipe. I added extra sriracha because we like it spicy. Thanks for the recipe!
Nov 5, 2019
Excellent- easy to make and delicious