Fall Vegetable Sloppy Joes
I make this dish in the fall and sneak grated vegetables into the sloppy joe mixture. It’s especially good when children don’t like to eat their vegetables! Just walk away until the end of the day and let the slow cooker do all the work. Also delicious: Top the filling with a little shredded cheese before serving. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 8 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups shredded peeled butternut squash
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and shredded
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 can (12 ounces) cola
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup honey mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 18 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings. In the same skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender, 10-12 minutes, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in squash, parsnips, carrots, cola, tomato paste, water, mustard and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 4-5 hours. Stir in bacon. Serve on buns.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 275 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Originally published as Fall Vegetable Sloppy Joes in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.