Pumpkin Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- American and mozzarella cheese slices
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pumpkin, tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut American cheese slices with a pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter. Cut mozzarella cheese into shapes (triangles, half-circles, etc.) to make pumpkin faces. Spoon meat mixture onto buns and top each with a pumpkin.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 607mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 3, 2014
Great way to add an extra healthy element (pumpkin) to sloppy joes.
Nov 1, 2013
I've been serving this for years, but had lost the recipe. My family love it, it's economical and easy to make. The salt can be reduced or eliminated, if sodium is an issue.
Apr 4, 2013
I've been making this recipe for well over 15 years and my family loves it!
Oct 8, 2012
Pumpkin adds an interesting textre. Next time, I may try ground turkey instead of the beef.
Mar 6, 2010
Just finished making this and it really is very good. I made it with ground turkey and my entire family loved it. I will be making this again and again. Never thought of using pumpkin for anything else other than bread. I am so glad someone was kind enough to share this recipe.
Nov 9, 2009
I would make this again. Wonderful, quick, easy. I was looking for new ways to use pumpkin.
Oct 29, 2009
The texture of the pumpkin removed the chunky meatiness of a sloppy joe. To use it up & not waste it, I served it over pasta. It was better that way.
Feb 14, 2009
This has been a family favorite for years now and probably the best sloppy joe recipe I've tried.
Oct 21, 2008
This was awesome! OUr church had a pumpkin fellowship where all kinds of food containing pumpkin was served. I made these and they were a hit! People were asking if there was any more and were disappointed when they found out they were gone. We are approaching the same pumpkin fellowship this week and I will be bringing these again.Thanks,Dawn, South Dakota