Classic Homemade Sloppy Joes
My mother-in-law created this recipe in the early 1950s. Our family likes these classic sloppy joes best served with pickles and potato chips.—Sharon McKee, Denton, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt or celery seed
- 1 teaspoon onion salt or onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 bay leaves
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Uncover; cook 30-40 minutes longer or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Serve 1/2 cup of meat mixture on each bun.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 248 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 884mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Zesty Sloppy Joes in 1-2-3 Meal Planner
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.