- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 pound baby portobello mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) fresh baby spinach
- 8 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms, onion, peppers and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, saute spinach until wilted. Place bread on a baking sheet. Broil 2-3 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Layer sausage mixture and spinach over bread; pour egg mixture over top. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forItalian Brunch Bake
"Good but next time I think I will omit the nutmeg and use italian blend cheese instead of mozz"