Italian Brunch Torte
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake 1 hour + standing
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 7 large eggs, divided use
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained, sliced and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan. Unroll one tube of crescent dough and separate into triangles. Press onto bottom of prepared pan to form a crust, sealing seams well. Bake 10-15 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach and mushrooms; cook and stir until mushrooms are tender. Drain on several layers of paper towels, blotting well. In a large bowl, whisk six eggs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Layer crust with half of each of the following: ham, salami, provolone cheese, red peppers and spinach mixture. Pour half of the egg mixture over top. Repeat layers; top with remaining egg mixture.
- On a work surface, unroll and separate remaining crescent dough into triangles. Press together to form a circle and seal seams; place over filling. Whisk remaining egg; brush over dough.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°, covering loosely with foil if needed to prevent overbrowning. Carefully loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove rim from pan. Let stand 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 403 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 167mg cholesterol, 1360mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 30, 2018
I made this to serve on Christmas Eve morning, and it was a huge hit! Besides tasting great, it looks very impressive with just a little effort going in to making it. Will definitely save this recipe!
Dec 4, 2018
I saw the question previously but wondered if anyone had used pie crust. I don't care for the crescent dough either. 3 stars just because i haven't made yet but looks delicious! thanks!
Nov 12, 2018
Made this exactly as written and aside from the egg leaking out of my springform pan it was excellent. Everyone loved this very filling dish. A bit to put together but well worth it. We will enjoy this again for sure!
Mar 24, 2018
Why couldn't you use refrigerated pie crusts or make your own pie crust instead od the crescent roll dough?
Mar 3, 2018
Looks fabulous. I also am not of fan of refrigerated crescent rolls, that's why the 4 stars. Has anyone tried puff pastry sheets instead?
Nov 25, 2017
This is wonderful! But I cannot recommend enough Reynolds nonstck foil. Absolutely nothing sticks to it and it has a nice shiny appearance. In this recipe, just wrap it around the base of your springform pan. Then carefully run a sharp knife around the edges after the torte has baked and cooled to release it before trying to remove the skirt of the pan from the base. I use this foil for all appetizers that might stick and especially love using it when I make turtles. Another hint, if you are taking this anywhere, is to wrap the foil around a pre-made cardboard base that you can buy at most places that sell baking supplies, and sustitute it for the metal base in your pan. That way, you can leave leftovers and not lose your pan's metal base.
Nov 15, 2017
I made this with no changes. It was awesome! My only problem with it was my own impatience-- It does need to sit at least the 20 minutes stated in the recipe or it tries to slide apart.
Oct 30, 2017
I've made this several times- always rave reviews! Looks so impressive too. Next time I will try as others have suggested, half the red peppers and not precook the spinach. A keeper!
Jul 24, 2017
I wanted my family to love this recipe, but it just didn't happen. We are just not fans of the refrigerated crescent rolls. I love the ingredients in the filling, so maybe I'll make it again without the bread and serve it with a pasta salad.
Jun 5, 2017
This was really delicious. I had to omit the mushrooms but it still turned out beautifully.