Italian Brunch Bake
This is a great overnight recipe to make when you have company coming over for brunch. I often make it during the holidays. When I wake up, all I have to do is pop it into the oven, and in no time, the troops are fed. —Vivian Taylor, Middleburg, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + standing
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 pound baby portobello mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) fresh baby spinach
- 8 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms, onion, peppers and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, saute spinach until wilted. Place bread on a baking sheet. Broil 2-3 in. from heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Layer sausage mixture and spinach over bread; pour egg mixture over top. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover and bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 373 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 255mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.