Grandma’s Sweet Potato Biscuits
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, mash the sweet potatoes and milk. Add to the crumb mixture just until combined.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 biscuit: 124 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 214mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Apr 3, 2016
Have used both canned and fresh baked sweet potatoes to make these. Turn our lovely.
Oct 29, 2012
My grandson wanted me to make these for him! I didn't have a can of sweet potatoes on hand but I did have a butternut squash from my garden. I cooked the squash and measured out 8oz (guessing on the amount to equal the can os sweet potatoes). I combined it all and needed about another 1/2 cup of White Lily flour so that I could cut out the pumpkins....EXCELLENT flavor and Tanner was very pleased!.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.