Creamed Turkey over Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cubed Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Hot cooked long grain and wild rice mix
- In a large skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; stir in the turkey, milk, cheese, pimientos, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 372 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 896mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Nov 27, 2011
I inadvertently left the milk out and it was still great! I also used mashed potatoes as an option to the rice.
Feb 17, 2011
I make this a often. I do leave out the pimientos and add a cup of frozen peas then serve it over biscuits. I use cooked, diced chicken breasts when I don't have any leftover turkey. My husband loves this. Make sure you buy good Swiss cheese. It will make a huge difference in the taste.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.