Growing up on chorizo and egg burritos, I decided it was time for a remake. In the morning when I make coffee, I pop this in the oven and an hour later, breakfast is ready!—Relina Shirley, Reno, Nevada
Recommended: 50 Hearty Breakfast Casseroles
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound fresh chorizo
- 3 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- Sour cream
- Hot pepper sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble chorizo over medium-high heat until cooked through, 5-7 minutes. Drain on paper towels. In same skillet, cook and stir potatoes, onion and pepper until tender, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; stir in chorizo. Cool 15 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, cream, green chilies and chili powder. Layer a greased 11x7-in. baking dish with half each of the following: chorizo mixture, cheeses and egg mixture; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cilantro. Top with remaining chorizo and eggs; sprinkle with remaining cheeses and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until set and bubbling, about 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve with sour cream and pepper sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chorizo Egg Casserole in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2016, p39