Scrambled Egg Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded process American cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- Additional sliced green onions, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute ham and onions in 3 tablespoons butter until onions are tender. Add eggs; cook and stir until eggs are almost set. Stir in mushrooms and cheese sauce. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Sprinkle with additional green onions if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 358 calories, 26g fat (13g saturated fat), 376mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 26, 2013
I've made this on Christmas morning for years. I have a mushroom hater so I use a small can of chopped green chiles instead.
Nov 23, 2012
This the second time I made this recipe. You definitely need to bake it for 40-45 minutes. I used Colby Jack cheese and still used fresh mushrooms that I saute. This is a keeper. Another thought is to add green chilies if you wanted to do a southwestern twist or Colby Jack cheese with chilies.
Jan 24, 2011
Used cheddar cheese instead of American, sauteed fresh mushrooms instead of canned and omitted the bread crumb topping (my kids don't like). Simple but tasty breakfast dish!
Nov 25, 2010
I will give this recipe a second chance with some changes. This was the first time I made it, instead of canned mushrooms, I saute fresh sliced mushroom other than that I followed the recipe. Next I will add some fresh herbs and increase the bake time to 40 to 45 minutes.
Mar 29, 2010
I've made this twice now and it is very good. It took 45-50 minutes to bake.
Jun 16, 2008
This is very good. I made it for Christmas morning brunch a couple of years ago. The only change I made was to spoon the egg casserole over toasted English muffin halves when serving it.