Sunday Brunch Egg Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings.
- In same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg substitute, milk and seasonings until blended. Stir in potatoes, cheese, bacon and pepper mixture.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 181 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 591mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Jan 4, 2019
What if I wanted to use all real eggs instead of the egg substitute, how many eggs would I need?
Oct 23, 2017
I doubled the bacon for more flavor and baked it at 400 for the same amount of time. Next time i will add more cheese too. Overall, very good.
Oct 21, 2016
To "hassal" who couldn't find shredded hash-browns., I always use the fresh, shredded hash-browns found on shelf, just above the eggs in every grocery store I shop in. I think they are much better than frozen and they also come in Southwestern (seasoned) style. Hope this helps those who didn't know they were available.
Jan 11, 2014
I like to make a brunch casserole each year for Christmas brunch. I like to try a new one each year. This year I chose this one and we really enjoyed this one a lot. I did use all egg substitute instead of eggs and the substitute. We all enjoyed this casserole and I will make it again.
Dec 27, 2013
The recipe sounded very good. I decided to try. My family didn't particularly care for it since it was bland. Next time I may substitute sausage for the bacon. I also had to cook it almost an hour at eventually 400 degrees in order for it to set.
Jul 21, 2013
The hash browns kept this very moist. It was good breakfast dish for overnight guests.
Jan 28, 2013
A question? Why do you have to use eggs AND egg substitute? Why can't you use all egg substitute and cut some cholesterol?
Aug 9, 2012
My husband is diabetic, but he hates knowing he's eating like it. He loved this casserole so it's a keeper in our house.
Aug 5, 2012
I followed directions to a tee. It was very bland. My family didn't like it.
Apr 22, 2012
Very good, added mushrooms & used ham instead of bacon. Nice to be able to make ahead. A keeper for sure. I had trouble getting the shredded home fries so I bought the big ones and cut them up.