Hearty Egg Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup cheese, spinach and mushrooms. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a bowl, beat eggs. Add cream and nutmeg; mix well. Pour over sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 353 calories, 31g fat (16g saturated fat), 297mg cholesterol, 389mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Mar 17, 2016
Got great reviews from my mom's group that I attend. I left out mushrooms and doubled spinach. Takes a bit longer to bake then expected (45 minutes easy in my oven. More if other dishes are also baking at the same time).
Nov 23, 2013
This is a great recipe for potluck brunch at church! Be sure to add the time for baking, as it has been omitted from the recipe. 35-45 minutes @350 or until knife comes out clean.
Jan 27, 2012
I loved having this recipe as a guide line. I needed to make something with eggs and ham and I couldn't find a recipe, this recipe was great. I used half sausage and half ham. I didn't have any spinach so I used brocoli instead I didn't have the heavy whipping cr. so I used whole milk and put some crm chz to make it more creamy. It turned out very well. I can't wait to make it with all the real ingredients. Thanks for the recipe!
Sep 2, 2010
Very easy to make and everyone loved it!
Oct 20, 2009
Can this be frozen?
Jun 23, 2009
ONE OF THE BEST DISHES I HAVE EVER MADE!!!! ALSO, IT REALLY DOES LOOK LIKE THE IMAGE WHEN UR DONE. I MAKE THIS FOR OUR WOMENS GOLF TOURNAMENTS EVERY YEAR AND EACH YEAR I AM ASKED IF I AM GOING TO MAKE THAT WONDERFUL SPINACH DISH AGAIN.... LUV IT!!!!